About Our Prison Ministry
The Brooklyn Correctional Institution, formerly known as the Windham County Jail was built in 1820 and served as both town hall and jail.
In 1842, a new jail was constructed adding barns, outbuildings and in 1863 a section for female prisoners. The mission during this time was employing prisoners as common laborers.
By 1847, offenders outside jobs grew extensively to include such labor as digging, carting, woodcutting, and harvesting.